Sunday, October 17, 2010

Belated Anniversary Cake


The end of September was the 1 year anniversary of Big Head and the Kitchen. Unfortunately, my computer died out on me and I could not even post! I got a new laptop and was able to save the pictures of the recent food I made so here is my anniversary cake.

This cake is a simple teabread that you can use any kind of berry you like in. I had received currants and gooseberries in my CSA box so that is what I choose to use. Gooseberries and currants are both tart in taste so the sweet crumb topping really balanced them out. I hope you enjoy!

Adapted from 500 Fabulous Cakes and Bakes

Makes 8 pieces

4 Tbsp butter at room temperature

3/4 cup sugar

1 egg at room temperature

1/2 cup milk

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 cup fresh berries of your choice

For the topping

1/2 cup sugar

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp cinnamon

4 Tbsp butter cut into pieces

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9-inch baking dish. Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, and beat to combine, then mix in the milk until well blended. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and stir in enough to blend ingredients. Add the berries and stir. Transfer to the baking dish.

For the topping, place the sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter into a mixing bowl. Cut in with a fork until the mixtures resembles coarse bread crumbs. Sprinkle the topping over the mixture in the baking dish. Bake until skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Serve warm or room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment