Sunday, March 21, 2010

Risotto with Butternut Squash


Two words come to my mind when I think of risotto; delicious and stirring! I love risotto no matter what is in it. As a matter of fact the single best meal I ever ate in a restaurant was a wild mushroom risotto with truffles. I like my risotto a little cream but not soupy. To be honest though this is only the second time I made risotto myself, I dread the stirring! I have many recipes that take longer to prep and cook but the thought of 20-30 minutes just standing there and stirring discourages me. This month I picked up Everyday With Rachel Ray magazine and this recipe was the first thing I turned to. I decided to go for it. Half an hour of stirring later we had an incredibly satisfying meal. I still won't be making risotto on a weekly basis but will try some new recipes for it in the future.

Adapted from Everyday With Rachel Ray magazine March 2010

Serves 4

2.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
4 Tbsp butter
1.5 cups grated butternut squash
1 onion, finely chopped
1.5 cups arborio rice
1/2 dry white wine
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh ground pepper

In a sauce pan bring chicken broth and 2.5 cups of water to a boil; cover and simmer.

In a large saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the grated squash and cook, stirring frequently, until soft about 5 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons butter and the onion to the saucepan and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the onion is softened about 8 minutes. Add the rice and stir until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring constantly, until evaporated.

Stir in 1/2 cup of the hot broth mixture, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring and adjusting the the heat as needed to maintain a low simmer, until the liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Keep repeating, adding 1/2 cup of the broth at a time and allowing the liquid to be absorbed, until the rice is tender about 20-30 minutes.

Add the cooked squash and the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and season with pepper. Sprinkle each individual dish with extra Parmesan before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment