Sunday, December 6, 2009

Roasted Butternut Squash Dip

This Thanksgiving my husband and I spent at my parent's house. I was in charge of making appetizers. I had so many recipes I wanted to try and it was very hard to narrow it down to just three! When I saw this Butternut Squash recipe I thought it sounded very Thanksgiving-like and gave it a whirl. I am so glad I did. I made it up the night before and reheated it in the microwave at my parent's before serving with pita chips.

Adapted from Delicious Dips by Diane Morgan

Makes 2 cups

1 butternut squash cut in half lengthwise and seeded
1 very small yellow onion, cut in half lengthwise, stem and root end removed
2 large garlic cloves, skins left on
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp sour cream
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
Fresh ground black pepper
Pita chips for dipping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush the flesh of squash, onion and garlic generously with olive oil. Arrange squash and onion cut-side down on a rimmed cookie sheet. Tuck a garlic clove in each cavity of the squash. Roast until very tender when pierced with a fork, about 50 minutes. Set aside and cool enough to handle.

Use a large spoon to scrape out flesh of squash and place in food processor, discard skins. Squeeze the garlic pulp from the cloves and add with onion to food processor. Puree until smooth. Add the sour cream, salt, nutmeg, crushed pepper, and a few grinds of black pepper. Process to combine and then adjust seasonings to taste. Transfer to a bowl and serve at room temperature with pita chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment