Thursday, November 5, 2009

Brownies

Brownies are one of the first recipes I learned to bake. I love chocolate, who doesn't? I like a thick chewy brownie with nuts. This classic recipe has always served me well. I used cashews for my nut but any kind you like will work. Be careful not to over cook these, a clean knife in the middle means they are done.

Adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookie Book

Makes 16 2-inch square brownies

2 squares (1oz each) unsweetened chocolate
1/3 cup butter flavored shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cashews (or other chopped nuts)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Heat chocolate and shortening in 2-quart saucepan over low heat until melted; remove from heat. Mix in sugar, eggs and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread in greased baking pan, 8x8x2 inches. Bake 25 minutes; cool. Cut into squares.

1 comment:

  1. I have never though of adding cashews to my brownies ... sounds like a good idea :)

    ReplyDelete