Sunday, January 17, 2010

Lentil Soup


With all the cold weather in the last month soups have been on my menu every week. This lentil soup is a warm and filling.

Lentils are not something I thought I would like. They don't exactly look appealing and in the past I never liked bean soups. Once I tried this recipe I discovered I really like lentils. It is easy to make, budget friendly and can be made in under an hour.

Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis Lentil Soup

Serves 6

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
freshly ground salt and pepper
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 pound dried lentils
11 cups low sodium chicken broth
4 fresh thyme sprigs
2/3 cup dried elbow pasta
1 cup shredded Parmesan

Heat oil in large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery. Add garlic, salt and pepper and saute until all veggies are tender, about 5 - 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices. Simmer until the juices evaporate a little and the tomatoes break down, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add lentils and mix to coat. Add the broth and stir. Add the thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over low heat until lentils are almost tender, about 30 minutes.

Stir in pasta. Simmer until pasta is tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Spoon into bowls and top with grated Parmesan to serve.

1 comment:

  1. I loooove lentils and this soup sounds great!

    ReplyDelete